
Tuesday, June 5 was my dear friend MV's birthday. A group of us headed to Via Tribunali to celebrate. These festivities were the catalyst for a better than average week, which I will summarize.
Tuesday - MV's birthday celebration started over excellent wood fired pizzas and the evening commenced at a new bar named Moe (right by Neumo's). Moe was excellent because when we walked in they were playing Minor Threat's Good Guys Don't Wear White, which
I haven't heard in forever and we sang and sang until it was over.Wednesday - The other interns and I met with Senator Fraser, who is on the Natural Resources Committee (the committee I was assigned to for the summer) and is also the senator in charge of the capitol budget. She was delightful and wonderful and completely engaged in our meeting, which was awesome. After meeting with Senator Fraser, I left feeling inspired and excited about state government (dorky) because she spoke in depth about problems constituents had presented her and was genuinely trying to remedy their situations through the legislative process. She meets face to face with her constituency; how many people could meet with their U.S. representative... not many, and that is why state government was so cool to me that day.
Thursday - I went to bed very early after doing my Computer-to-5k training (it is actually called the Couch-to-5k program, but I renamed it because it is not like I have been sitting on my couch for the last two years).
Friday - I made pizza for MV and Ryan and then we went and saw Knocked Up -- so incredibly funny I can't even begin to explain.
Saturday - I had the best brunch and best conversation of all time at the Kingfish Cafe with AW. We chatted about books and school and work and life and love. All of this over a shared plate of crab cakes and poached eggs topped with a spicy hollandaise sauce (yum) and a pot of black tea. After brunch, Ryan and I headed into the evil demon realm of Seattle real estate for the day. We found some promising things, but nothing quite right. Then we headed out to dinner with P & MW and had a delightful evening indeed.
Sunday - I read Plenty (see Read and Recommended) which I highly, highly recommend to you all. The tone of the book can be a little condescending at times, but the message is an important one and it is well written. In between chapters, Ryan and I headed out to look at some more houses, AND we found one that we are going to put an offer on... so I'll keep y'all updated on that. After finding our dream townhome, I went to a CCLS fellows dinner/strategy meeting, which was fantastic and inspiring and wonderful. I feel so lucky to be involved with CCLS, and it keeps me interested and excited about law school when other things fail to.
Monday - I met with MC after work for a drink. We had hoped to go to Licorous, but they are closed on Mondays so we ended up at this cute new wine bar, Poco. It was so good to see MC, and as we chatted I realized how quickly the summer is passing and how many more fun times there are to have...
Tuesday - My fellow interns and I were able to meet with the Governor. It was super exciting to meet with her and chat about lawyerly things. Again, I felt so happy to live in a state with a female governor (who also happened to be the first female attorney general in WA) and marveled at the beauty of state government (dorky, I know).
So, that was my fantastic week. LOVELY!
3 comments:
1) That pizza place looks great. We will have to go.
2) The computer-to-5k also looks like it is a great structured way to get running again. I plan on printing it out.
3) You reminded how exciting it is to be a part of the government in that way. When the lobbist of the AARP Utah office would come back from the session I would just hang on every word she said. She too is a lawyer and has a great passion for state politics. You will be great at that job because you have a passion. So exciting!
Can we please go to "Poco" when I visit? (And maybe Licorous too? I'm starving for some lovely cosmopolitan pretentiousness.)
(Seriously.)
(I live where dogs aren't allowed in parks and the biggest local attractions are the elk at the zoo.)
But of course!!
Post a Comment