Thursday, June 14, 2007

Reading Stresses

So, I am a little stressed out about this book I am reading. As you can see (on the right) I am in the middle of The Inheritance of Loss by Kiran Desai. Frankly, I don't love it. I'm not even sure if I like it. The only redeeming quality of the book is that the chapters are short, so I can make some decent headway before wanting to take a spoon to my eye. BUT, I kind of feel obligated to read it (obligated to like it even). I mean, it is the 2006 Booker Prize winner. Usually I love most, if not all, Booker winners and short listers and I generally feel like it is a waste not to finish books (remember my pledge to finish all of the books I started in law school and didn't complete??). So, HELP! Do I finish it, or at least commit to finishing it, all the while supplementing the tedium with better books? Or do I just let it go?

3 comments:

Aimee said...

Finish it. There is probably a reason - in the end - why it won and if not you can just make it your cause to never let anyone you know read it.

I know that feeling though.... readers dilemmas! Its so hard to be a reader sometimes.

Sarah said...

Let it go. Life's too short.

So many times I've come back to a book I couldn't get into in a different emotional place or time of life, and loved it. You don't want to waste your summer not reading because you can't stand the book you're "supposed" to be finishing.

And just remember, for all the "American Beautys" and "Knocked Ups" (a.k.a. critically acclaimed what-have-yous) there's an "A History of Violence"...

the taking up of space said...

tap out, my friend. tap the hell out.